Due to many suppliers using the wrong grades of materials and poor design practices, Aluminum has been given a bad rap.
Used for years as just a “Tool” for quick, cheap and dirty prototype parts; Aluminum materials have struggled to get the necessary notice as a strong alternative to Steel tooling.
However, the Future is Today – not next year, and no matter what Mold Material is chosen, the following points are important and most vital when considering Aluminum Tooling:
- A solid Part Design is key
- The proper Mold Material is crucial with……Required resin, part geometry, and quantity of parts needed
- Utilize experienced Aluminum Production Mold Companies that build and manufacture parts
- Processors with an open mind
- Good (Industry Standard) Mold maintenance
- Utilize experienced Welder with proper Rod material if needed
Used today for cycle time advantage and lower tooling costs, high-strength Aluminum alloys are making an impact in the Medical, Automotive, Defense, and Commercial industries for a competitive alternative to steel.