We Just Invested in a New 5 Axis High Speed CNC
Time is money. And no one understands that better than our team at Phoenix Proto. With lead times at 3 weeks or less and every single mold we create is production quality… Speed & Quality are our top priorities. While we don’t cut corners on quality, we do want to cut our molds as fast as possible with greater accuracy and better finishes. This is why we keep reinvesting in high speed CNC machines.
We already have several high speed CNC machines running at 42,000 RPM Spindle. All of our high speed CNC’s have an automatic pallet feeder/Robots to keep them running 24/7 lights out cutting molds.
(5) Major reasons to go 5 Axis
- Reduced setup time – The new 5-Axis Machine will allow us to push jobs through the CNC process faster because of less set-ups. A piece that might require three set-ups in a traditional 3-Axis CNC can now be set-up just once in the 5-Axis CNC. Having only one set-up will eliminate any mishaps that might occur during multiple set-ups on one block, plus speed the process up.
- Increased accuracy – By eliminating extra set-ups, it takes out the human error. The extra set-ups could also potentially add mismatch in the surfaces. Being able to machine the work piece in one operation and being able to tilt the part you can get into tight areas, this can eliminate the normal EDM process. Not only, will the machining process be faster, it will be more accurate by eliminating an extra process that takes longer for detail as well as surface finishing.
- Improved surface finish – We will also get a better surface finish with the 5-Axis because of using the complete radius of a cutter and because we can reduce the amount of the cutter that sticks out of the tool holder. A shorter cutting tool is less susceptible to vibration at higher cutting speeds, which directly impacts surface finishes. There will be a continuous cut pattern going from side to side versus a small transitional step that shows up when you have multiple set-ups on one block.
- Reduced Tooling – Cutters also will last longer since different parts of the cutter are used throughout the process. Also the cutters can in many cases not hang out of the holder as far since the 4th & 5th axis moves allows the cutter get closer to walls and areas that are normally difficult.
- Reduce lead time and increase efficiency – With eliminating extra set-ups, reducing the potential extra steps such as EDM, and with better surface finishes, deliveries and productivity improve. Eliminating the EDM process, saves on extra materials that won’t be needed as well as less labor. And with better surface finishes, less labor is needed after the 5 axis machining process is finished.